發表新文章 回覆主題  [ 75 篇文章 ]  前往頁數 上一頁  12345  下一頁
發表人 內容
文章發表於 : 2012-01-04, 00:17 
離線
頭像

註冊時間: 2006-03-14, 23:17
文章: 28
PCMan 寫:
Thank you for the fixes. Now the source code of IE Tab2 is made available.
The source code of the original IE Tab is always available on its project page:
http://ietab.mozdev.org/
There is a prominent link to "Source Code" on the page.
GPL basically requires that you distribute source code along with the binary (not necessarily in the same package), not only provide it when someone asks for it.
Having javascript in xpi is not enough, either since the source code of the binary plugin is not provided. Technically, you did a great job and really deserves a "thank you". I owe you a "thank you" for this as well. The code you've written is quite good.
I, however, am not happy about the GPL violation, wrong license on AMO, and the improper use of our project name and author names. That's all.
As long as you can follow GPL and the rules of free software, feel free to use the code. Since now you have fixed the GPL issue, I owe you a "thank you" for fixing IE Tab and keeping it alive for many years. Welcome to the world of free software and please keep the good work!

Best regards to your development team.

我的英文是普通的爛,在我看來這是一篇好文章
很高興PCMan大 處理這事告一段落

回頂端
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0a1) Gecko/20111221 Firefox/12.0a1
 個人資料  
引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-04, 00:20 
My apologies to all for posting in English on a Taiwanese web site.

PCMan, thank you for being gracious, and for inventing this product in the first place.

As far as the license goes, I realize the javascript comments are not sufficient, I was just pointing out that while we made mistakes, we were attempting to follow the GPL.

Regarding the GPL: I want to make sure we get this right, and it appears to me that we both still have to make some updates. From the gpl-violations.org web site, http://gpl-violations.org/faq/vendor-faq.html some of the common mistakes are:

* Only including a Link to the GPL license text, instead of a verbatim copy.
* Only including a download link to the source code, rather than a written offer to ship the source code on a physical storage medium customarily used for information interchange.

I think we both still have this wrong, what is your opinion?

------------------------------------
Now that we've settled the GPL concerns, let's move on to the concern about the developer account named "PCMan":

You guys weren't paying attention to what was happening at the time. So here's some history:

At the time things were very confusing for users. The original "IE Tab" had been abandoned and no longer worked (and still doesn't), so some new versions were created.

There was an extension named "IE Tab Plus", and the owners of the "IE Tab Plus" extension actually changed their name to "IE Tab" for a period. So there were two listings named "IE Tab". If you all had been paying attention at that time I guess we would have had a whole different controversy.

In any case, they changed their name to "IE Tab" and claimed they were "the original" IE Tab. Users were very confused. We could have _also_ changed the name of the "IE Tab 2" extension to "IE Tab", and then there would be three listings named "IE Tab". But we didn't think that would be very helpful to users and we had no desire to make things worse.

We were getting support requests for the _other_ IE Tab extensions and questions about which one was which. There were also spammers spamming our reviews (AMO actually fixed this later). Let me say now that when I decided to respond to user requests and do the work of fixing the abandoned "IE Tab", I had no idea it would become a headache like this!

At about the same time, we wanted an additional developer account, and the idea came to us to name it PCMan. Hey, guess what, AMO lets you do that! We thought it would help clarify for users which extension was based on the original, so we went for it.

It was a questionable marketing strategy, but it was allowed and the name was available, so we used it.

We didn't take any action to pretend we were "the" PCMan, we just had a developer account with the same name. Make of it what you will, but we didn't do _anything_ that would harm users. On the contrary, I think our actions were helpful to users by helping them pick the version of IE Tab that was more closely based on the original. And I could argue that it even does a better job of giving credit to PCMan for being the original author.

Now the owner of the first account named PCMan on AMO has come out of hiding and doesn't want users to be confused over which extension HE is working on. Well, welcome back! I wish you had just contacted me directly or replied to my emails, but we are where we are. We will let the new PCMan developer account go away and we removed it from the listing as soon as we discovered the objections. That seemed like a reasonable request to avoid confusion.

I think it's now obvious that this clever marketing strategy was a bad idea. And believe me, for that we are truly sorry.

Now let's go write some code.

BTW: Concerning the rewrite to ATL. I have also been bothered that this code base was old enough to still be using COM via MFC, but I just didn't have a chance to rewrite it yet. I fully intend to shortly since I already have an ATL-based IE container from another project.

Regards,
- Don

回頂端
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.63 Safari/535.7

引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-04, 00:54 
離線
[網站管理員]
頭像

註冊時間: 2004-11-06, 23:25
文章: 761
Hi Don,

We at Mozilla Taiwan community welcome you to the forum, leave the message in English is fine for us.
We also reported the un-unique display name problem onto bugzilla http://bugzil.la/714617

There's still one problem we have to deal, the license list on addon page is still indicate as Custom License, I think you should definitely change that to GPL as well, the sooner is better, then we can prevent the further arguments.

回頂端
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:11.0a2) Gecko/20120102 Firefox/11.0a2
 個人資料  
引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-04, 01:28 
離線

註冊時間: 2011-05-02, 00:32
文章: 590
support@ietab.net 寫:
We were getting support requests for the _other_ IE Tab extensions and questions about which one was which. There were also spammers spamming our reviews (AMO actually fixed this later). Let me say now that when I decided to respond to user requests and do the work of fixing the abandoned "IE Tab", I had no idea it would become a headache like this!

At about the same time, we wanted an additional developer account, and the idea came to us to name it PCMan. Hey, guess what, AMO lets you do that! We thought it would help clarify for users which extension was based on the original, so we went for it.

It was a questionable marketing strategy, but it was allowed and the name was available, so we used it.

We didn't take any action to pretend we were "the" PCMan, we just had a developer account with the same name. Make of it what you will, but we didn't do _anything_ that would harm users. On the contrary, I think our actions were helpful to users by helping them pick the version of IE Tab that was more closely based on the original. And I could argue that it even does a better job of giving credit to PCMan for being the original author.

Regards,
- Don

TL;DQ (Too long; didn't quote)

I sincerely hope that you can register to this forum and repost your comments so as to (re)claim your credibility. I guess if you understand other Chinese comments, registering to this forum is a piece of cake for you. 8-) It is not hard to impersonate you (I can but I wouldn't.) if you leave unregistered.

To my understanding, you was impersonating the original author of IETab by exploiting a "feature" (or a bug in any social standard) in AMO to drive users of other IETab-esque addons to think that your extension relates to the original author, even if yours is based on PCMan's work.
And yet I don't know if you have, even for once, clarified in public that the "PCMan" you created is not the one who created the original IETab.

回頂端
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0a1) Gecko/20120103 Firefox/12.0a1
 個人資料  
引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-04, 01:34 
離線

註冊時間: 2011-05-02, 00:32
文章: 590
yutrump 寫:
感謝PCMan的熱心開發,雖然我脫離ie tab很久了。
fx打不開我就用opera,ie only的網頁才開ie。
我真怕下一版會是"Real IETab2" = =a

題外話:一堆該死的web atm,都綁死在active x。
有些網站硬是要用特地銀行或郵局才免去轉帳手續費,刷卡真的超少見的,根本是聯合賺手續費。

只需更新沿有的、原本的IE Tab就行,根本不用另發一個新的套件。因為PCMan 就是原來的作者啊。 :roll:

回頂端
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0a1) Gecko/20120103 Firefox/12.0a1
 個人資料  
引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-04, 02:34 
Hello Irvin,
Oh, I see! Thanks for letting me know about the "Custom License". I didn't realize it was not changed in the listing because I did change it in the developer view a while ago. It turns out that change doesn't take effect until you upload a new version. I created a new version to upload but the aggressive validator is throwing a bunch of new warnings that need to be fixed before a new version will be accepted, so I'm afraid this isn't going to get updated until I get that new work done. Oh joy :-(

Thank you for letting me know, I hope this won't take long to fix.

Best regards,
- Don

回頂端
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.63 Safari/535.7

引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-04, 03:24 
Hello Irvin,

Okay, the AMO editors expedited the review, so the license should now correctly be displayed as LGPL 2.1. Thanks again for the heads up!

- Don

回頂端

引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-04, 05:14 
Fanolian,

That was an impressive misquote. I actually end my response with this:

support@ietab.net 寫:

I think it's now obvious that this clever marketing strategy was a bad idea. And believe me, for that we are truly sorry.

Now let's go write some code.

BTW: Concerning the rewrite to ATL. I have also been bothered that this code base was old enough to still be using COM via MFC, but I just didn't have a chance to rewrite it yet. I fully intend to shortly since I already have an ATL-based IE container from another project.

Regards,
- Don

Regards,
- Don

回頂端

引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-04, 07:31 
The gpl stipulates that Source be made available on request if it is requested, having source always available is just a courtesy that no gpl developer has to abide by.

all this nonsense because a few people don't read the fine print.

回頂端
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0

引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-04, 13:32 
離線
頭像

註冊時間: 2008-01-15, 14:11
文章: 448
事情好像告一個段落了,

那麼現在在IE Tab 2 上遇到的問題

應該回報給PCMan還是IETab.net的Don呢?

回頂端
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
 個人資料  
引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-04, 23:16 
離線
[網站管理員]
頭像

註冊時間: 2004-11-06, 23:25
文章: 761
a007son 寫:
事情好像告一個段落了,
那麼現在在IE Tab 2 上遇到的問題
應該回報給PCMan還是IETab.net的Don呢?

冤有頭債有主,
IE Tab 2 作者是 ietab.net,當然回報給 Don。
:lol:

回頂端
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:11.0a2) Gecko/20120103 Firefox/11.0a2
 個人資料  
引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-04, 23:56 
離線
頭像

註冊時間: 2008-01-15, 14:11
文章: 448
Irvin 寫:
冤有頭債有主,

(ˊ口ˋ

--

請問Don你看得懂中文嗎?

用英文描述這件事的話...

不堪入目喔

回頂端
 個人資料  
引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-05, 05:42 
離線

註冊時間: 2008-07-16, 06:46
文章: 8
diceman 寫:
The gpl stipulates that Source be made available on request if it is requested, having source always available is just a courtesy that no gpl developer has to abide by.

all this nonsense because a few people don't read the fine print.
You definitely don't know the situation, it's not only about the GPL.

Re-read the story please.

回頂端
 個人資料  
引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-05, 12:24 
離線

註冊時間: 2011-10-01, 09:25
文章: 10
a007son 寫:
Irvin 寫:
冤有頭債有主,

(ˊ口ˋ

--

請問Don你看得懂中文嗎?

用英文描述這件事的話...

不堪入目喔

我把Don 為冒名的道歉,貼到他們自己的論壇
想叫他自己和全世界的人說明

結果Don一直刪留言,看來是不想公開說明這件事了
IE Tab v2,不用也罷,不公開道歉,看來他們覺得自己冒名ID很對

回頂端
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:12.0a1) Gecko/20111223 Firefox/12.0a1
 個人資料  
引用回覆  
文章發表於 : 2012-01-05, 13:43 
離線

註冊時間: 2012-01-05, 11:15
文章: 4
作為firefox及chrome普通用戶,我亦不會花時間去深究事件的詳細......
其實只要不加adware,我覺得無所謂。
其實我自己一直用著IEtab v2,以前也用過IEtab。
我希望PCMan再復出更新,把IEtab延續下去,造福大眾網民。
另一方面,Don更新很熱心,代碼寫得很好,瀏覽器很流暢。

兩者都有很大功勞
衷心感謝PCMan,ietab.net兩個開發團隊的努力
別累著,感謝你們造福大眾網民!

我覺得這是大家溝通上問題
我建議PCMan和Don兩人平時多多聯絡一下
最希望兩者可以合作搞好ietab的插件

回頂端
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1